Friday, December 28, 2007

I'm not *trying* to be a skeptic, but. . .

So there I was, outlining my talk for Sunday school, sure I had all the truth I was going to get this time around, and just trying to put the pieces together into some semblance of cohesion. As I outlined, I thought, “You know, I need some more discussion questions.” And I innocently began brainstorming things I could ask throughout the lesson, so it wouldn’t simply be me talking at my students for half an hour, telling them what I think. (Random side note: My students are amazing, and I love hearing their discussions. Often the thing that sticks with me the most from a class is some off-the-top-of-his/her-head remark from one of them, instead of what I’d been thinking about and studying all week.)

I try to think through my own answers to each discussion question, so I don’t end up on Sunday morning facing blank stares and the sudden realization that there is no way anyone could actually respond to what I just asked. (Oh, the things we learn from experience. . .) I was blithely jotting down said answers when this very simple query (which I wrote down in the first place) caught me by surprise:

“Whom do you believe?”

My brain whirred through the line-up of my trusted friends, family, and mentors. . . and I came up blank. There is not one person I can honestly say that I believe. As for more impersonal sources—sure, I think, say, the New York Times is fairly reliable, but if they reported something kooky, I wouldn’t be inclined to believe it simply because it was in the Times.

And, while it would be nice to say that I believe God--let’s face it, I’m much more likely to believe myself.

In fact, I realized that my only answer to the question, “Whom do you believe?” is “Me.”

That’s kind of scary.

Is that the definition of a skeptic? Or maybe just the definition of an arrogant --insert your favorite profane noun here--.

I guess what I mean about believing only myself is that, no matter how much I trust a person or a source, if what they say doesn’t line up with what I already think to be true, I discount it. Ok, sure, I could be convinced if there were, I don’t know, three other credible sources that backed them up—but I’m a bit disconcerted by the fact that my own opinions are what I consider to be the most reliable measure of what is to be believed and what is not. (And, I guess to be fair to myself, I usually do consider other people’s opinions. . . in order to decide if I agree. Yikes.)

On the other hand, if I don’t think that my reasoning skills have any value, how could I possibly even begin to try to choose whom to believe? (And what on earth did my parents (and I) just pay $10,000s for? Dining hall meals and fertilizer for our pretty green quad?)

So the million-dollar question for you guys is, whom ought we to believe?

Ok, God—check. We ought to believe God. But ought we to have someone else in our lives that we believe more than ourselves? Should we even be on our own list of whom we believe? Or is God the only one worthy be on that list? And if learning to believe God in actuality and not just theory is a life-long process, whom do we believe in the interim?

3 Comments:

Blogger barlowboy24 said...

Interesting thoughts. I feel like a kid at the spelling bee, seek clarification on the word I need to spell. "Please use the word in a sentence." "What is the origin of the word?" "What is the definition?"
What do you mean by "believe"? Is it similar to trust? Or is it related to facts and truth?
If it is related to facts and truth, then I think I share much of your skepticism, because I'm someone that wants to see "it" (whatever "it" is) for myself before I will completely believe in the facts. But that is nearly impossible in our world today, and completely impossible when it comes to God (for we can't even begin to see all that He is), so for me that is where faith comes in, and now I start to determine whether or not I "trust" the source of the facts.
I believe that God is the source of Truth, and from what I've seen in His word, His creation, and His participation in my own life has shown me that He is trustworthy. As for the other people in my life, I have varying degrees of trust. I trust my family, but I recognize that they are human, and the older I get, the more human they become. I trust my friends, because they have demonstrated that they are worth trusting (they have seen me at my worst and still they continue to be my friends). But I think I differ from you, Rachjel, in the "trust myself" category. I struggle to trust myself. If I'm sharing facts, or re-telling an event that happened to me, or I sharing the truth with someone, then I have almost full confidence in myself, but it really isn't me that I trust, but the facts that I'm sharing. But I don't always trust myself.
Does any of this resonate with your question?

7:51 AM

 
Blogger Rachel said...

I think belief is related to trust, for sure, but there are definitely people I trust whose words I take with a grain of salt. I know their character is trustworthy, but I probably wouldn't just take their opinions to heart.

So I think of belief as embracing an idea to such a degree that it changes the way I live, the way I see things around me.

I agree with you that I don't necessarily trust myself--as in, I know that it's so easy for me to blind myself to my real motivations or insecurities. . . But I "believe myself" in that what I tell myself changes the way I live and the way I see things around me.

One of the women at my church said she doesn't see how one could seperate the self from belief. If *I* am going to believe something, then of course I'm going to use the beliefs I already hold to evaluate new ideas. I can't choose to believe something that deep down appears false to me, can I?

10:58 AM

 
Blogger katie said...

So, the chronological reading brought us to this verse this week: "Abraham believed God". That stuck out to me, for sure, especially in light of your question. God credits it to him as righteousness, even though fickle Mr. Abe seems to make some shaky decisions despite the promise. Yet Romans points us right back to it: "yet he (Abe)did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith, and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised" (4:20-21) That seems to be the mark of all the saints, such as those listed in Hebrews 11. Not that it says much to your question, but the thoughts challenge me. I mean, what was it that these people grasped? And if we look at Abe's ficklness, yet read that he believed God, must I redefine what it means to believe?

I like what you said about belief being the thing that ultimately changes how we live. Sadly, that would indicate that I often believe the deciever more than anyone, since I allow him to make me live in self-condemnation. Beth Moore hounds on this all the time, that half of the Christian life is training ourselves (or allowing the Spirit to empower us) to believe what God says. Elizabeth says in Luke, "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Blessed. My heart, which wanders through the constant quagmire of whom to believe, needs that blessing and rest. I live in a tortured state of mind without it. I really do.

May God grant us the grace to believe what he says. And I pray that we allow him to overtake our Spirits to a degree that we can more and more believe one another as well.

Those are jumbled and imperfect thoughts. But there you go.

12:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home